Gower Assembly Member joins campaign to keep constituents safe.
There were nearly 1,900 fires caused by electricity in Welsh homes over the last 5 years, Gower Assembly Member, Rebecca Evans AM, heard when she met with leading consumer safety charity, Electrical Safety First.
Rebecca Evans AM said: “It’s been estimated that almost 30,000 Welsh homes are at potentially serious risk of fire due to old or damaged electrics. That’s why I wanted to hear from Electrical Safety First how I can help ensure that constituents stay safe.”
The meeting took place during Electrical Safety Week Wales, during which the Charity highlighted how fires in older housing stock in Wales - a significant proportion of which was built before 1919 - is linked to deteriorating electrics. Home Safety Visits in Wales are conducted by the Fire and Rescue Services, and they are a vital trusted service which can pick up potential dangers with electrics in people’s homes across the country, especially vulnerable people who live in older housing.
Top Tips for electrical safety across the winter time include: -